Green Spirulina is a blue-green algae found in both fresh and salt water. The blue pigment comes from a phytochemical called phycocyanin. When phycocyanin is extracted from Green Spirulina, we call it, simply, Blue Spirulina.
By far, the most important compound in spirulina and blue spirulina are phycocyanins including C-phycocyanin. Like many similar phytonutrients, phycocyanin is a potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory molecule.
- Phycocyanin’s effects are comparable to those of the best known anti-inflammatory molecules. Phycocyanin has been recognized as one of the most promising natural molecules in terms of inhibiting the pro-inflammatory COX-2 enzymes, which are linked to the phenomenon of inflammation and the associated pain, as they deteriorate cartilage and joints.
- Anti-Allergic Immunomodulation
- Phycocyanin is the only natural compound that is effective against asthma. It also inhibits the production of molecules responsible for inflammation, limiting the amount of these molecules released, and thus limiting their effects during allergic events.
- Phycocyanin’s anti-radical properties help protect cells against damage from free radicals. It has also been shown to be neuroprotective through its effects on oxidative stress.
- Stimulating the Release of EPO
- Thanks to its structure, similar to that of erythropoietin (EPO), phycocyanin contributes to the production of red blood cells and thus promotes the transport of oxygen to the muscular and immune systems.
Phycocyanin is especially recommended for athletic or working dogs who want to improve performance as well as their recovery after intense efforts or injury. It can also be used to prevent degenerative illnesses, allergies, and can help treat any viral illness.
Intended for supplemental or intermittent feeding only.
Feeding directions: add 1/4 tsp per 1 pound of food
Warning: For canine and feline use only. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease. Consult with your veterinarian before starting any new regimen, especially if your pet is on medication. Not intended for pregnant or lactating dogs or cats.
Ingredients: organic phycocyanin
Net Wt. 1 oz (28.34 g)